*YOU*ME*AT*SIX*

Friday, October 12, 2012

Fire


 Stumbling down the stairs, smoke infested lungs and blood shot eyes. You’d a thought I was drunk. Pondering whether I’d walk away alive from this or not.

 I fell.

The three stairs to the concrete floor felt like ten. I looked over to see Indie lying in an unconscious state. A large burning beam laid over his back. Was it worth risking my life to go over there and grab him? What if he was dead.. The door was right there, if I didn't run to it right now the fire would take over the whole room.

I hurled the beam off his back. I slapped his face to which he replied with a quick gasp of life. Relief rushed through me. I pulled his arm around my neck and lifted him up. I looked through the dense smoke towards the door. The pathway was overpowered by fire.

We turned and hurriedly limped towards the kitchen. Dizzy and unable to see very far in front of me I walked down the hall blind. Indie was in and out of it.

“Help” he kept whispering.

The kitchen was just as bad. But there was a clearing by the window above the sink. I set Indie down, leaning him up against what was remaining of the nearby wall. I picked a brick up from within the rubble and launched it at the glass window.

Shattered. I picked Indie up and we hurried towards the window.







3 comments:

  1. "I fell."
    Stealing.

    I'm digging this metaphor, even though I don't really get it.

    ReplyDelete

  2. “Help” he kept whispering.

    I fell

    stole both these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really interesting to read. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete